Wednesday, August 18, 2004

swinging on a tree

i bumped into my idol on my way to the library just this afternoon. that big doe eyed rubber nosed face flashed onto the tv screen for a split second and i did a double take. how familiar that face was, and then i heard becky's voice floating up from the inner plaza yelling out that my idol was on teevee.

i wanted to jump off the railing in ecstacy. he was playing against peter gade. oh how i cheered for him like a silly schoolgirl just now. people around me made me feel mighty embarrassed when i whooped everytime he outsmarted Gade. "his not singaporean! why are you cheering for him?" some of them screamed at me. "BUT HIS TAUFIK" i replied incredulously, as if the name alone was reason enough. haha it sounds silly now but yes it's true, "He is TAUFIK." somehow it was logic to me. the name alone resounded like a gong and turned my raging hormonal adolescent synapses wild. that has been my anthem ever since i first cast my eyes on the 19 year old way back on tv in secondary school when i was still a budding enthusiastic badminton player. he was the reason why indonesia won their Thomas cup in 2001. i taped his match. everyday when i got home from school i'd watch and rewatch it for 3 hours running. you never knew i could ever be so fanatic about someone did you? heh. i even wrote a creative composition about him in sec 4. mind you i topped the class for that and i fantasized that one day he would return to singapore and i could show him all the stuff i did for him. i cut out newspaper articles about him and stacked them in my drawer. i even cut out a passport sized photo of him just so i could keep it in my wallet all the time.

see it's been a really long time since i've seen him. the last time i heard from him was in sec 3, when he signed his name on the many photos i printed out from the web. i had this big gorgeous september poster that he too signed which i pasted on my bedroom door so i could blow a kiss at him everymorning. the best thing was when he signed the back of my badminton shirt when he was in town for the Singapore Open. he won.. by the way. it meant the world to me. i never did dare to wear it anymore lest the ink came off. i left it hanging in my cupboard to show to other adoring fans (potential converts there were) when they came over to my house.

and i felt it was such a pity that i didn't bring that poster with me to school today. i would have strung it up high beside the tv while he was playing. he won.. by the way. so anyway i flew home today with a re-kindled passion burning within me. i rushed into the house, bundled myself upstairs, closed the bedroom door... and horror of horrors, i realised the poster of him wasn't there anymore!!

the first thing i did was to curse my maid. who could i first put the blame on besides MISS STEW-PID right? but then later snippets of past events recalled themselves to memory and i vaguely remembered tearing down that poster earlier this year because it was so unsightly. funny how i always took it for granted. funny how i thought it was still up there on my door.

i think i cried a little just now.

but hey.. guess what. the badminton shirt... it's still hanging there. :)

Joyce Lim unzipped at 10:42 PM with 0 comments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Comments: Post a Comment
Webset © Blogfrocks
Image © Inertia